Monday, December 17, 2007

Reflecting

Well now that I've had some time to reflect on what has happened these last 2 months, I am so amazed. Going from being miserably huge and pregnant to having sore boobs and feeling tired all the time. I can remember feeling so frustrated my last few weeks of pregnancy, every visit to the OB telling me that this baby was in there for the long haul (I was a "0" in diameter up until the day I delivered). I remember feeling so excited to meet my new baby boy and wondering what and who he'd look like.

And now I have the most beautiful baby boy in the world. He couldn't be more perfect. He's a good eater and sleeper (who could ask for more). He started sleeping through the night last week. Which is great, but no one tells you that YOU are still not sleeping through the night for fear your boobs might explode. He started smiling and laughing a few weeks ago. I've never heard a sweeter sound than hearing my baby "coo" for the first time.

I love being a mom. This is definitely different and nothing like I expected. It's the most natural and awkward thing I've ever done. I'm not as tired as I thought I would be, I didn't think my chest could hurt as much as it has, I never thought a stream of urine could look like the water show at the Belagio, a shower has never felt so good, who knew all my nursing skills and knowledge would go out the window and be completly useless, and I've learned to eat faster than anyone I know. So to sum it up, being a mom is great and I'm adjusting.

6 comments:

Hillary said...

glad you're adjusting so well. That sounds good about after the new year lunch thingy. I need to meet that kid. I work every weekday now, so it'll have to be on a weekend or a dinner after work probably.

Veeda said...

it definitely is an adjustment. you are such a great wonderful mom!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mama,
Ahhhh, isn't it so nice when they start sleeping through the night? Gotta love the porn star boobs the next morning! Brenner is almost 8mo and I could still take out someones eye if I wasn't careful with those weapons :-) I am so glad you are lovin' being a mommy. You're such a good one, so little JR don't give your mom any trouble okay? Love you. Oh, ps will you send your address to my email? I lost my address book! Needless to say your Christmas letter will now be a New Year letter :-(

cragun family said...

Alli,
I love your post about being a new mom. I can't believe I am having #4 and each time is like a surprise! You forget so easily. Your little man is darling!
Love, Amy Nilsson Cragun

Kerrie said...

It sounds like you are an awesome Mom! See you next week.

Anonymous said...

ditto sister